Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti Virus considerations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTEM

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

Got a Dell Poweredge running NT 4 Server - in this day and age what anti virus precautions do I need to take - is it the same as thinking about a home desktop?

Also what would you recommend software wise as NT 4 is not supported by many of the newer titles.

Thanks

Dan

Dan Morgan -

A lot depends on the role of the server. If its just a file/print server then realtime protection is a must. Most products scan files that arrive and leave the server, this can cause high utilisation, especially if the server is also a PDC or BDC. Configuring your AV to only scan files when they arrive and are written to disk (not read from) will greatly effect the performance of the server and as all files are scanned when written, there can't be any infections when the file is read from disk and sent out to the network. You should also update the AV engines and signatures every day and run a full system scan at least once a week. If you are running exchange, you will need smtp scanning ability as when email arrives, it is written directly into the exchange information store which is a database and cannot be scanned by conventional methods. Mcafee still supports NT, although for how long is anyones guess.

Thanks SjrH,

The servers role will just be a file/print server. It may become a PDC but at the moment it is doubtful.

With regard to McAfee - that looks good - however I do not want a version which controsl all client PCs as well - which from the McAfee site would you recommend - Would Virusscan or Virus Scan Pro be enough or shoudl I get a single license of McAfee® VirusScan® Enterprise 8.0i?

Thanks

Dan

Dan Morgan -

Dan,

If the server is not connected directly to the net, then a simple virus scan package would suffice, if it is then you need some kind of firewall too.

If your still not sure about it, you could download a free anti-virus checker from I know a lot of people that use it and are very happy with it, in fact, search the forums for grisoft and i'm sure you'll find lots of information!

Regards

Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

I looks at the free edition, but it is not free for commercials (we are a small company) and the paid version does not support NT 4 Server.

I also looked at AVG for File Servers, however it is aimed at multiple users using the AV, however I just want the server to be protected from files being written to it?

Thanks

Dan

Dan Morgan -

I just recently purchased a 10 seat license for AVG Network Version 7. The network version will run on an NT4 box (I think you need at least SP4). A "File Server" license is also included in the price, however I chose to install only the "Network" version. I don't run any services on my NT4 box, and when I used a Norton File server version in the past, I eventually turned off all scanning except when files were created, or downloaded. Norton bogged down the network to an almost unusable condition when it was scanning all files when opened, modified, saved, etc. I have not had a good opportunity to look at the AVG's file server version. You can download the referenece guide here: Hope this helps.

I have a computer with an NT server installed (we got it from a friend who does corporate consulting)- but it is only being used for home,non-commercial. I can't seem to find a good free anti-virus for it - any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back