Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anti-Spyware & Anti-Adware inconsistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupuytren

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
I've tried a couple of different products - Spybot, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware, XoftSpy, and most recently Microsoft's new Anti-spyware. Why is it that they all find different spyware/adware? I can run them in succession, perform cleanups and it seems that every subsequent software product will find something new. Then, when a particular culprit is identified, I go their websites where a detailed description of removal of spyware is listed, but none of the suspect files or registry text exist on my PC!

This is because many of the spyware tools are not that great. I would only recommend using MS AntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster for immunization, and special tools for special malware, like Hijack This. And, these tools in combination work great together that I listed above.

Many of them are false positives and should be treated as so.

Hope that helps,

Erik

There is a simple rule that applies here.
Most of these items are FREE! They rely on small teams updating 100's of new problems a month. For starters, they have to find these items, then find a cure. Give the guys and girls a bit of a break. After all if you are given a free computer and it's not perfect, would you comlain?

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

It's one of the challenges that this portion of the industry faces. There isn't one tool that is a "catch-all" for malware products.

Why is that?

Well, as Stu stated, one of the reasons for this is that many of these applications are driven by a very small market base at present. Despite the fact that malware has existed for quite sometime, the means to fight it (and properly identify it) is still in its early phases, I use that term relatively mind you.

In addition to this, each spyware tool has its own way of rating what applications, registry entries, and files should be removed. Some applications may have a specific software package listed as a "to be deleted" and another may not. This is what, recently, caused such an uproar against Lavasoft. They were delisting products from their malware database due to their rating system.

Lastly, this is a very dynamic arena. Unlike virus', the majority of malware comes with a profit attached to it. It gives a great incentive for its creators to continually evolve the applications that they write and how they are installed to your system.

For the above reasons, and probably many more that I'm unaware of, there is no current "catch-all" application. It is why so many people will recommend, myself included, two or more applications for spyware removal and monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back