Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antec True380SP PSU failure (probably)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbb72

Programmer
Mar 27, 2004
NO
I've been using an Antec Sonata with it's default PSU True380SP for over a year with great pleasure.

However, since a few days my PC doesn't boot anymore. When PSU is turned on, power indicator light on motherboard lights up. When PC is turned on, fans start running and USB apps get powered, but network card light stays off, screen stays black, HDD's stay quiet. Reset and power button don't function, have to press power for 5 secs or turn PSU's switch to turn PC off.

I managed to get the PC alive with an old 200W PSU, but that is without SATA-plugs so I can't power my HDD's.

One point is that I've been using a P4 motherboard which is 24-pins, I've just plugged the 20-pin connector from the Antec PSU into the first 20 pins on the motherboard. I don't know if that is what caused problems, although I would think problems would show up quicker than after a whole year.

So my questions are as follows:

- Is it plausible that the PSU is the malfunctioning part? I hear and read that the Antec PSU's are quite proper.

- If yes, is there anything I can do with/to the PSU now? I must say I am not a hardware-geek, don't even own a soldering-bolt.

- If it needs to be replaced, what should I look for? One point is that the PSU also controls my case-fan. I saw a case-fan connector on my motherboard (ASUS P5GD2), but that is a 3-pin connector while my case-fan only has a standard molex connector. The Antec PSU has a special temperature-controlled fan-only connector, but other PSU's don't have that.

Any help and pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

I have never studied the 20 vs 24 pin-outs. You apparently got over this...... There are 24 to 20 converters but I have not seen a 20 to 24 converter but have not really looked.

I suggest you obtain a proper PS, as from your post this seems to be the problem owing to semi-function iwth another PS sans SATA connectors.

You most probably will not receive any recommendations here to low ball in the PS area. I know that they seem expensive but this is the heart of your system and if you have avoided damage to other system components consider yourself lucky. Until you actually get all systems powered, you may not know if there is collateral damage.

While not the tell all if you shop for a new PS compare the weight of a 'value' model with that of an expensive model. The quality parts are much heavier/heavy duty and will generally perform through several system incarnations.

ANTEC is a provider of quality PS's, I am not sure what they include with their enclosures though. And there are several other mfg's of 'quality' PS's.

Antec seems to have updated this PS with a 24 pin connector

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Also see this as there are others with more electrical savy than I. I tend to obtain what is required i.e. if a 34 pin then that is what I use. (Maybe I don't need to)

thread602-1178855

rvnguy

Well it certainly sounds like you have pinpointed the fault to the Antec 380 PSU. It's dificult to make judgement about the cause of the failure, probably just one of those things, maybe 380watts was a bit borderline with your components, perhaps you could give use more information.
One thing is on your side, that is despite this apparent failure Antec's are very good PSU's and you may be happy to know it's unlikely anything else is damaged.
Quality PSU's tend to have several fail safe devices built into the circuitry, fingers crossed.
Obviously it would now be prudent of you to buy a V2.0 (or newer) 24pin type with perhaps a little more spare overhead, 450watt plus.
Another Antec would be good.
That PSU is probably scrap to all but an electronics engineer.
Most of the newer replacements have this extra PSU fan control wire.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks for the replies. I sent a support request to Antec, maybe I'll even get the PSU replaced by them, they offer 3 years warranty on it... :)

Thnak You for posting back....

Good Luck on the replacement, ANTEC is a reputable Company.

rvnguy

People, I think I fell in love with Antec now. Exactly 2 hours and 26 minutes after filling in a webbased support request, I get a reply offering a replacement PSU! Where do you get this kind of support nowadays? Tears are filling my eyes... ;-)

That's blooming marvelous!!!!
But I bet you're in the US? in the UK this kind of service support just does not exist.
Firstly this direct kind of support with the manufacturer is discouraged, support always says "take it back to the place where it was bought from) and if that was from an online vendor that can be a long and dificult task.

Needless to say in the UK if you are lucky enough to have an RMA accepted by the vendor (get past their slow RMA testing process) they would then send it back to the importer, eventually you may get a replacement at anything between 4 weeks and 6 months.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Nopes, I am not in the US. Actually not that far away from you, I'm in Norway these days.

I don't have that much experience with RMA's. I've RMA'd a few harddisks in the past few years, never had too much trouble with that, just filling out a webform was always enough.

Let's hope the PSU won't take 6 months to replace, I am currently on my gf's old PC. Terribly slow, AMD 2000+ with 256MB PC2100 and a 5400RPM HDD... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back