Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Antec Power Supply Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickster

MIS
Feb 19, 2002
US
My friend has an Antec TRUE 330 power supply. He usually keeps his PC going at all times but turned it off the other day and just turned it on this morning. He immediately noticed that the PS fan was not going and turned it off within a matter of minutes. On most PSs, I'd say this was a problem with the PS, but Antec TRUE power supplies are made for noise reduction and control the case fans. Could it simply be that the PS realizes that it isn't yet hot enough to need cooling and has simply not turned the PS fan on yet? I don't want him to do testing an risk damaging the PS or other components. Does anyone know if this is normal?

I've had to install a couple of Antec True Power supplies and the fans always turned. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing a controlled PS fan. I've seen secondary fans control heat, but not the PS.. Mind you, I don't install enough power supplies to be a source of reference, but I've never seen one that was stopped.. unless it was already dead.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Replace the fan. At least remove the power supply and test (with a shorting plug). The fan could turn slower when cold, but it should turn at all times.

I am inclined to agree.
These units have temperature controlled fans but in my experience never actually stop, just spin very slowly when cold.
Have you just poked something in there to check the fan is free (turned off of course) it maybe seizing or a heavey build up of dust, it's always worth blowing out your PSU at least once a year (compressed air and a blow off jet)
Just an afterthought but if you were careful, I suppose you could blow a hot hairdryer at the internal PSU vents to see if the fan begins to turn (don't do this for too long) 20/30seconds should warm the internals up enough to make any thermal circuitry click into life.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back