Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

answer file madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnymc

Technical User
Aug 28, 2002
US
Help...

I am trying to create an answer file AND use it to install XP pro. I can create the file but I cant get it to work. I must be missing a step somewhere.

I used the setup manager to create the files. I now have a floppy with the winnt.bat and winnt.sif on it. I read that all I need to do is boot from the XP cd and then put the floppy in the a: drive. That didnt work. I know I can put the winnt.sif into the i386 folder and then reburn the cd but I am really trying to figure out how to use the floppy disk.

Have a look at this MSKB. I don't see any reference to winnt.bat in it.

How to Perform an Unattended Installation of Windows from a CD-ROM

This is a more advanced unattended install and covers both files you are using on your floppy. Make sure your floppy is formatted in a XP machine and not a 9x one, is one suggestion you might consider.

Windows XP Unattended Installation

I figured it out. I was not getting the floppy in the drive fast enough. I was waiting for the CD to spin a while before I put in the floppy. I changed the boot order to cd first then floppy and I left both the cd and floppy in and it booted from CD and then read the floppy.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back