Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANSI Standard Join Syntax vs. Oracle 8i Syntax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creepers

Programmer
Nov 11, 2002
US
The DBA just finished moving our test instance of Oracle from 8i to 9i. After doing so, I noticed that some of my views are running much slower. After doing some research, I learned that 9i supports ANSI Standard for join syntax (joins are in the FROM clause). Should I see a performance hit? If not, can someone offer a possible explaination as to why the views run slower in 9i vs. 8i

Thanks

Have all the indexes been built correctly? Have statistics been generated against the tables in your view(s)?

Switch trace on for a session and check the explain plan for the queries on those views.

Yes, indexes have been built correctly. Yes, statistics have been generated (by DBA who did not notice anything "unusual"). Have not had a chance to look at explain plan (ANSI vs. 8i).

Generally speaking, will I see a difference in performance when it comes to ANSI vs. 8i?
Thanks

AFAIK there *should* be no noticeable difference in performance between the sytaxes.

Has your DBA set up the new DB in identical fashion? ie all tablespaces etc. are distributed the same way?

If you still have no joy I suggest you post this query to the Oracle 9i forum where it can be read by more experienced DBAs and 9i users.

2 possible reasons: 9i resource greediness; lack of statistics.
I'm sure that both Oracle and ANSI join syntaxes produce similar plans, so don't worry and let your DBA to manage.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back