Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Roxio nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobt0123

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
US
First, yes - I have read the considerable threads on problems associated with Easy (anything but)CD Creator v5. But I haven't yet found the solution to my problem.

Situation: I have ECDC v 5.3.5.10 (supposedly, the latest and greatest) which I have attempted to uninstall and re-install several times on my XP Pro PC but the problem persists. First thing I notice is how long the &quot;Initializing Engine&quot; window is displayed. When attempting to copy data files the program responds &quot;There are no supported drives on this system&quot;. I look under >Tools>CD Drive Properties and I notice that my cd drive is listed as &quot;Drive in use by <null>&quot; - coincendently, so is my dvd drive.

I never experienced problems with my system before some time ago when I started to play around with other programs, i.e., Nero, etc. Yes, I know, in retrospect - these programs don't like playing together!! Since then I have uninstalled Nero - problem has persisted since! ANY IDEAS?!?!?!?!?!

Clean up the regsitry for any remnants of old software like Nero. Do a search in the registry.
You might also check the Nero sight for ways to manually uninstall the program.
I'll bet that is your problem, another program still is using something that EasyCD needs.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

You have the latest version of the software, but have you downloaded the latest drives file (DriveUp5.3.5g.exe)?

In response to the previous comments: I have removed all registry entries related to Nero and I do have the latest drivers installed as well.

Had the same problem with easy CD creator, resolved the problem by installing program updates then installing latest drive updates, remember to re-boot the system between updates!

Hopefully someone will get something out of my pain and agony...... The short of it is - I TRIED everything and nothing seemed to work. I was tired of hearing the computer support people saying I'd have to reload the OS and everything!! The following is what resolved the problem for me:

Roxio version 5 and earlier and not at all compatible with XP, uninstall it as follows:

Create a Windows XP restore point to undo any changes that you make to the operating system. To do this, follow these steps:
Quit all programs that are running.
Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
Under Pick a task, click Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.
Click Create a restore point, and then click Next.
In the Restore point description box, type prior to Easy CD Creator removal, and then click Create.
Click Close, and then close the Help and Support Center dialog box.
If the Easy CD Creator program is installed, uninstall it. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Switch to Category View if Control Panel is not already in Category View.
Click Add or Remove Programs, click the Easy CD Creator program in the Currently installed programs list, and then click Remove.
Follow the steps to completely remove the program, and then click Close to quit the Add or Remove Programs dialog box.
Click Start, and then click Search.
Click All files and folders.
In the All or part of the file name box, type cdr*.sys.
In the Look in list, click Local Hard Drives (C:), and then click Search.
In the right pane of the Search Results dialog box, rename the following files if they are listed:
Cdr4_2K.sys
Cdralw2k.sys

To do this, right-click a file, and then click Rename on the shortcut menu that appears. Rename the .sys file extension to .old, and then press ENTER.
When you are finished renaming the files, close the Search Results dialog box.
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Navigate to the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the UpperFilters value (if it is present), and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears. Click Yes on the Confirm Value Delete message that appears.
In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, right-click the LowerFilters value (if it is present), and then click Delete on the shortcut menu that appears. Click Yes on the &quot;Confirm Value Delete&quot; message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the &quot;Confirm Key Delete&quot; message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the &quot;Confirm Key Delete&quot; message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the Confirm Key Delete message that appears.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the Confirm Key Delete message that appears.
On the File menu, click Exit.
Restart the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back