Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another problem with "openme.exe"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
OK. I am going to try to trip you guys up. Every time I open my profile (there are 4 profiles on this computer) an alert box pops up and says "windows could not find "openme.exe. Please make sure you typed the file name/path correctly" or something very close to that. Now i hear that "openme.exe" is a virus. My anti-virus has been updated since yesterday and still has not found this file. how do i get this rather anoying message to go away, or will it remain to pop up forever? Please conatct me at sk8er_x12@hotmail.com with the subject line "openme"
Thank you in advance

I don't thing Openme.exe is actually a virus, I think it is more spyware.

Using REGEDIT (click Start, Run then type REGEDIT). Browse the tree to fine the registry key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/RUN

In there you should a reference to the OPENME.EXE, delete it.

Also browse to...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/WINDOWS/CURRENTVERSION/RUN

Look for the openme.exe and delete it if it there too.

Then use the search to find any other reference to openme.exe and delete them too. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

I retract the above question because it was thoughtfully answered (thank you) and the only reason i posted it was because i thought the way to rid this pesky deamon might be a little diferent for the win xp format (which i neglected to post).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back