Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another log-on problem thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldopepper

Programmer
Nov 21, 2003
GB
Apologies in advance as I see a lot of similar threads about this, but I don't want to confuse my slightly different issue by adding to the existing threads.

I have several levels of problem registering a server in Crystal Analysis.
Machine-A holds the OLAP cubes, Machine-B is the Crystal Enterprise server that I am trying to connect to A with.

In Analysis, I am trying to add the new server A. I am entering a correct username/password but I am not even getting any objects back underneath the servername. I have tried entering an incorrect and I get a message saying wrong log-on information so the username/pass must be correct. The username is added to the administrator, Crystal NT Users and OLAP Administrators. I have also tried OLAP and OLAP 8.

I have been able to see the database objects on this machine before, but we had another problem when we published the report. So I removed the server and tried to add it again - now I can't even see the objects. (oops!)

So basically once this problem above is sorted and I am able to connect, I have another problem of publishing datasources aswell.

Can anyone help?

You're using Microsoft Analysis Services, I presume?

Try leaving the username and password blank - it's optional. In this case when you connect using the designer you will authenticate as the user running the designer and using the web (DHTML) client you will authenticate as the user account under which the WCS is running.

Aha thanks, when expand the servername from Microsoft Analysis Services I can now see the top level folders underneath the servername, but I can't open up the structure any more underneath - double clicking does nothing so I can't see the cubes at all.

PS yes I meant Microsoft Analysis Services in the third paragraph above - apologies for any confusion.

If the cubes have been built using version 8.0+ features (such as ragged hierarchies, member properties etc) then they won't be visible if you're using an older version of Pivot Table Services on the client - you'll just see empty catalogs instead. Try using the 'Microsoft OLE DB for Olap Services 8.0' provider instead, if you're not already. If not, check that your cube security isn't denying access.

Ah awesome, I can now see my cubes in Crystal Analysis. Thanks.

I have created a new report, saved it to enterprise and tried to preview it but I get the message:
<b>An error has occured but no details are available.</b>
The settings for this report in CMC are:

Data Source: (.) OLAP Server (severname correctly spelt)

DataSource Logon: Logon using Web Component Server credentials (no username or password given).

Has anyone ever got this message when trying to view published Analysis reports.

What version of Crystal Analysis are you using?

What happens if you click the test connection button under the connection details in the CMC?

I have just installed the latest version and hotfixes/service packs - (9.0.2.11100).
Didn't know there was a test connection button - it returns 'Connection Failed'.

Ok, that sounds like it might be failing to authenticate for the Analysis services connection. When using the web client, if there is no username and password set for the connection in the connection browser, the connection will attempt to authenticate as whatever user the WCS is running as. To test if this is the problem, try changing the WCS to run under whatever user account you are using to run the designer by entering the account details in the 'Log on as' section in the WCS properties in the Crystal Configuration Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back