Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another Licensing problem 2000/2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaZZaW

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
NL
Hello,

I have a question about w2k and w2k3 licensing for terminal services.
I have one w2k3 (member server) in a w2k domain and on this 2k3 server terminal services is running in application mode and about 30 users connecting.
Now as you might have guessed during the server intallation I didnt take any notice of the warning that terminal services only runs for 120 days before license is needed.(shot myself in the foot)I thought that my w2k term serv license manager was enough.I have 2 other w2k TS boxes.
Now the problem is that I have just installed TS licensing on the newer 2k3 member server with cal`s.
This obviously doesnt work for the clients but im not sure what to do next without screwing everything up.
Should I make the w2k3 box a DC and delete the licensing server on the w2k DC, would that work?
any tips please

ps. sorry it a bit of a long winded
story.

ah well, got it fixed after all !!
Seems I was worrying too much about the impact of making a DC out of the 2003 box.
Its not necessary.
I just deleted the licensing manager on the 2000 dc and reinstalld the 2003 licensing manager (enterprise licensing)on the 2003 member server and added device cal`s and bob was my uncle :)
everyone happy

Gary

Hi Gazzaw, if you could please explain this : reinstalld the 2003 licensing manager (enterprise licensing)on the 2003 member server. Where did you install 2003 licensing manager from ? Thanks

Control panel > Add remove programs > Add/remove windows components > Terminal sever licensing

just tick the box and have your 2003 CD ready

Dont forget that the licensing manager must be on a 2003 box and delete any other TS licensing in your domain/enterprise

Gary

Did the 2000 terminal servers automatically see the 2003 license server, or did you have to change the registry key to point to them?

I didn't have to change anything.
I think the clue is in making an enterprise license server instead of domain/workgroup.

GUys i am just about embark on a 2003 terminal server running in application mode, at the moment i am running a 2k server in app mode but this is purley for testing. I am going to run 2003 as i have started my MCSE in 2003 and wish to use the advanced features of TS 2003. K here we go.

At the moment i am running fifty users over the terminal server, it has 4gb of ram and dual xeon processor's, this seems fine and the sessions are running not to badly. The connection is running over a 2mb wirless link between three locations (this is about to be upgraded to 56mb wireless). When it comes to the install do you have any hints and tips that with regards to license changes from 2k to 2k3? i know i need client licenses and server licenses am i correct in thinking this. Also my domain controller is the license server at the moment does this have to change to the 2003 server which i might add is not going to be a domain controller due to security issues.

Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

David

Hello,
Just read my second post.
you have 120 days grace to get the licensing in order
W2k doesnt issue licenses to W2k3 TS clients.
Manager must be on 2k3 box.Doesnt need to be a DC like 2k did.
Gary

Is there a way to check if the terminal server recognizes the license server. Seems some do recognize the license server, and some dont, i need to find a way to check if they are or are not seeing the license server.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back