Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another ftp problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorel

MIS
Jun 15, 2004
I am trying to ftp from a SCO UNIX 5.0.7 to a Debian Linux server.
This is what happens. I enter ftp and the address, it connects and allows me to enter login ID and password.
At the prompt I enter commands such as ls, get, etc. Any time I enters these command the system just sits there and won't do a thing

I get no errors, no hint as to what is going on.

Any help?

Thanks

Joe

Just a couple of area's to look:-

Are you using passive or port mode? Passive is what I think you need.

Type "passive" once you are connected, then try ls etc.

I tried using passive mode, but it still does the same thing, when I enter the command "get filename" it just sits there.
Also when I pressed "delete" to terminate the connection, it printed "Passive mode refuse"

Thanks

Joe

Have you checked for the ftp command syntax? IIRC it was "help".

Those I've used have dos other than unix commands. Closing the session on those was "bye".

None of this may apply to you, it just looked wrong to me based on memory.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Check in the ftp server configuration on the linux box to see if passive mode is enabled. You may have to update your firewall with the passive port range to if you have one.

The SCO UNIX I am ftp from is in Miami FLA. The Linux box is in North Carolina, I know they have over there all kinds of firewalls, so I going to call them up and have them check the passive mode settings on the firewalls

Thanks

Joe

An example of what I think needs checking on the Linux server:-

IPTABLES
# ftp + active ftp + pasv ftp
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 21 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,NEW -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 20 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport 50000:60000 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

FTP CONFIGURATION
pasv_min_port=50000
pasv_max_port=60000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back