Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anonymous FTP Upload Dir ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

admoore

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2002
US
One of my ISP host providers restricts anonymous incoming FTP's to a specific "incoming" directory- Anonymous users can on write to the incoming sub-directory and can't see any files within-

I would like to duplicate this arrangement on a Linux box on our network...

Is this just a permissions issue that could be setup w/ chmod?

TIA for help...

-Allen

OK,

I use the PureFTP Daemon...

Can someone advise me how to make this configuration?

TIA,

-ADM

Try [tt]man ftpd[/tt]. On Solaris, and I'm sure other flavors of unix, it gives full instructions on setting up a chrooted anonymous ftp server. Which is what you want.

Hope this helps.

There is a package for Linux called anonftp, install this and have a look at the man pages for it.

I normally use the /bin, /etc and others from the package for the normal FTP users chroot enviroments.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

your ftp program should have some conf file. you need to edit the conf file and make some entries to limit.

i use proftpd and the anonymous user entry has the following (apart from other details)

<Directory ~ftpuser/incoming>
<Limit STOR>
AllowAll
</Limit>
</Directory>

here the directory is the anonymous user directory
Limit says STOR which means storing only is allowed and user cant delete it.

hope this leads you to configure your site. just man your ftp program and you can easily get it.

If you are using pure-ftpd the configuration file is located in a file called pure-ftpd.conf. On Suse Linux its located at /etc/pure-ftpd. If you need to find the file just> find / -name pure-ftpd.conf.Take a look at the configuration file and all you questions will be answered. Of course read the header because to use the configuration file you will have to start pure-ftpd a little differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back