Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anomally in File sharing between Networked PC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoo

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
IE
I have my Desktop and laptop successfully networked and am able to share both files and a printer.

Both PC's have XP Pro-SP2 installed.

The Desktop and laptop have the names "Dtop" and "ltop" respectively and both are members of the same workgroup which is named "WORKGROUP"

On the Desktop I have created a Folder , named "Shares" ,which has sharing enabled.

If I attempt to access this Folder from the laptop by navigating " My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Workgroup>Dtop " I get the message :-

"\\Dtop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . Contact the Administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions"

As I am the Administrator in this LAN , this advice is obviously inapplicable.

However , if I type " \\Dtop\Shares " from the START>RUN box I can access the "Shares" Folder and any Folder or files I have inserted into it.

Can anyone explain the differences shown here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back