Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying Windows poping up on my browser 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar321

Programmer
Jul 8, 2000
AU
Can someone please enlighten me on how to configure my browser (Internet Exprorer 5) to block unwanted windows (eg. promoting compittitions or products)from popping up on my screen. I seem to be spending alot of time closing these windows.

Pop-up windows are caused by JavaScript 99% of the time. To disable JavaScript, go into &quot;Tools &gt; Internet Options&quot; and select the &quot;Security&quot; tab. Press the &quot;Custom Level&quot; button, and mark &quot;Scripting&quot; as &quot;disable&quot;. That should do it. Let me warn you, though, JavaScript does a lot more than just cause annoying pop-up windows. JavaScript is used in a lot of client-side scripting which will also be lost if you choose to disable it. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Thank you for you advice Liam. Can you explain what is client-side scripting.

one way to describe scripting is that it's almost like programming, although not quite as powerful. The reason you'd rather have a script instead of a program is because you don't necessarily need so much power on a website in certain cases, and it's easier to interface with HTML (which is a markup language).<br><br>Java, a programming language, needs to be compiled before it can be run, which takes time; that's why you currently don't see many Java applets around because many of the things you need to use Java for on the web can be duplicated in JavaScript (and use less overhead to do it). So that's a quick run-over of scripting vs. programming... The only place where you'll ever see actual Java code in an HTML document is using JSP, or Java Server Pages. This isn't client-side scripting, however- the code is on the server side (because Java is a compiled language, it must be processed before it can be delivered to the browser).<br><br>The difference between server-side and client-side is where the script/program is processed. The script is either parsed by the server and returned (typically) as normal HTML, or the script is delivered to the browser as is and parsed there (where your computer is the &quot;client&quot;).<br><br>JavaScript is used all over the place... if you go into the JavaScript forum, you'll be able to find a good number of people who use it for their work. When you turn off JavaScript in your browser, any script that is delivered to the browser to be parsed gets ignored... which can be good (where you can get rid of pop-up windows), or bad (where a JavaScript function that needs to be processed can not happen).<br><br>My suggestion would be to go to the JavaScript forum and start a new thread concerning the necessity of JavaScript... ask them if you really need to keep JavaScript enabled. <p>Liam Morley<br><a href=mailto:lmorley@wpi.edu>lmorley@wpi.edu</a><br><a href=] :: imotic :: website :: [</a><br>"light the deep, and bring silence to the world.<br>
light the world, and bring depth to the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back