Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

annoying security popup while in secure site....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnynuggetz

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
I have a couple of web applications that require two forms of security in order to get onto the site. First off, you need a digital certificate to get to the site. Then you must have a user account and password in order to gain access to the website. When you first type in the address to get there you get a security warning telling you where the cert came from and if it is valid. Then you have to select your client certificate to proceed. The final window is entitled Signing data with your private exchange key. And inside the windows states.. An application is requesting access to a protected item. Soon as you click ok you get the logon screen and away you go.

My question is, randomly while browsing through the site the last window described above pops up. All you have to do is click ok and it proceeds, but it is very annoying. I have set internet security levels to minimal and still keeps coming up. Anybody have some suggestions. This problem is becoming very annoying to my clients.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hello Dan

Try the following (just worked then for me):

Export the Certificate, and make very sure that "Strong Protection" is DISabled (I think you get the same option on Import as well). Also make sure it exports the Private Key with it (not sure how related this is but it didnt seem to make anything worse).

Delete the Cert in Explorer (make sure you now do have an exported copy or that you can re-generate the cert if you have to!).

Now import it - again disable strong encryption on it if you have to - and the problem should be gone (close all instances of Explorer and restart it).

Hope this works for you!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back