Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blorf

Programmer
Dec 30, 2003
US
Hello. I have an annoying proglem (That I can work around) that I would like to solve, or at least understand.

In a report, I have two fields, (Lots more, but two that count for the problem)

First field is Description, second field is Type. Description is a text field, and Type is numeric, either a 0 or 1.

In my Description field, I want to display the Description only if type is zero, but not 1. I can do this with conditional formating, but this presents some other problems, like making my lines not show if they are near the conditional formatted field.

So, I set my form control to be
=iif([type]=0, [description, "")

This does not work, it just says "Error"

Why, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

You are missing a "]". If this doesn't fix your issue then make sure the name of the text box is not the name of a field.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

In real life I am not missing ], but the name of the field is the same. Probably the problem. I dunno how I missed it.

Thank you very much.

ChaZ

Ascii dumb question, get a dumb Ansi

If you are still having the issue with your report, I would suggest going a slightly approach.

On Print (in the detail)

if me.type = 0 then me.description.visible = false
if me.type = 1 then me.description.visible = true

or vise versa depending on which value means what.

I won't add code to a report or form unless it became necessary. They will load faster if they have no code behind them.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back