Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Annoying MSN Screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allangeorge

Technical User
Sep 16, 2001
CA
After installing Norton AntiVirus an annoying "sign up" screen for MSN appears just at the end of startup. I've deleted everything with "msn" in the file name so the screen is now just a white blank. There are two System Folder files left: msnsspc.dll and msnet32.dll which give a "File in Use" message when I try to delete them. Can anyone tell me if it's safe to delete these (in safe mode, I presume), or how otherwise to get rid of this screen?
George Allan

You can go to run/msconfig and see if MSN is in your startup and uncheck it if it is checked. Also, you can launch a browser and go to tools/internet options/connections and see if you have your connection settings set to "dial whenever a network connection is not present" or "Always dial my default connection". If it is set it to "never dial a connection".
If "MSN Internet Access" is displayed in "Dial-up settings" on this screen, select it and click remove. This should stop the screen from returning. Hope this helps

Thanks for your advice. I did the things you recommended but the pesky screen remains. I may have been a bit misleading; it isn't actually a screen, I guess. It was a MSN sign-up wizard box with "Next" and "Cancel" on it. All the stuff I deleted has left just a big white square which closes with a click, so I guess I can live with it.

Incidentally, although it's probably not related, when I shutdown I get an "Illegal operation" box and, after closing that, a box saying "DAD is running on this machine."

Many thanks for your help. George Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back