Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Andy way of comparing live website with source code? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyH1

Programmer
Jan 11, 2004
GB
Our company recently inherited a website, consisting of a live website with just the compiled code on the server, and the aspx, config files etc, but no .vb files etc. We were also given separately what we think is the current source code for the site to run in Visual Studio.

Due to circumstances we are unsure if the version of the source code is the same as the compiled live site - Ive been tasked with finding out. The site is very complicated and frankly badly documented so it would be hard for me to test page by page the functionality and layout of the pages and time-consuming to ensure both do the same.

I'm wondering if anyone has a methodology for finding out if the two are the same - ie a compiled version of the source code would be the same as the live site. Basically so far Ive done a comparison of the aspx, config etc pages from the live site (ie non-compiled stuff) and source files and they seem match, but I wonder if there's a good way of determining if the compiled files (dlls exes etc) match - ie that the .vb and other files that exist compile to the same dlls etc as the live site already has. Checking file length is the same occurred to me on the dlls etc seemed to me a way of doing comparisons, but someone told me these might not necessarily match due to patches and updates in Microsoft Visual studio etc, so I dont know if that would be ok I seem to remember in my early days of programming running checksums on compiled files and wonder if there is something I can do like this to compare.

The budget, to do this testing, is as usual, practically zero so I can't buy fancy software to do this.

thanks in advance

It's actually possible to decompile .NET assemblies (i.e., dlls) into high-level source code. Here's a link to one such decompiler (it's free!):

You can also do a web search for ".NET decompiler" (without quotes, of course), and you will find a ton of different programs - some free, some not - to decompile .NET assemblies.

Good luck and post again if you need more assistance.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back