Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

And so it goes on...Page fault in non-paged area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artois28

Technical User
Feb 10, 2006
DE
Hi guys,

I asked for and got great info regarding a new build with a problem CPU fan. Cured that...all my hdd's were fried. The new build has a new problem...Page fault in non-paged area.
Everything is fine until XP downloads the first of many updates, also I have installed the various mobo drivers and graphics card drivers. Is there anyway of quickly identifying which is the dodgy driver or is it the old 'spend your vacation and find out the hard way' approach...
Many thanks (again) And I promise I'll leave you all alone soon.

Artois28

This will let you analyze the minidump file create when the blue screen happened and will hopefully point to (mention) a faulty driver by name. Then you update that driver.

To simplify, go to the "Install the debugging tools" area
in the document and install it. You can copy the dmp file to a working computer and install the tools there.

Then, do this at a command prompt:
Switch to the debugging tool installation directory, which for me was c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)
Next, launch the graphical debugger by entering the following command (as all one line):
(Need to be connected to the internet for this to work)

windbg -y srv*C:\symbols* -i c:\i386 -z c:\PathToMiniDumpFile\Mini051311-01.dmp

Mini051311-01.dmp = name of your latest dump file This was my real file name

Forgot to say that after those steps:

Choose both options to get more info on the driver and problem

1. !analyze -show
"(command displays the Stop error code and its parameters. The Stop error code is also known as the bug check code.)"

2. The !analyze -v command displays verbose output.
Should list the faulting module - something.sys

Didn't someone point out in the last thread that your mobo might just be toasted and non-usable?

Thanks for the quick response Goombawaho and lol, it is a new mobo, although it did cross my mind that it is a faulty new mobo. I will try your suggestion now.

Many thanks

Artois28

Sure, no problem, but that's an extra $20 for under one hour response time. It's not as complex as it sounds/looks from that article. It's fun to find the source of the blue screen, sort of like Sherlock Holmes.

If you want, post the output if it's not crystal clear to you which driver is causing the problem.

Here's what you might expect to see when the analysis runs:

Just to add to goom's recommendation, you also need to make sure you have the i386 folder on your C: drive before that command will work. If it's not already there, copy it from your Windows XP CD.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Thanks for all of your help over the past couple of weeks, hugely appreciated...

I eventually (and I do mean eventually) found the problem.
The processor I purchased was an i5-3570 ivy bridge, and the motherboard a Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3, the bios was not up to date for the processor. Cannot believe I was THAT stupid. I shall go away and flog myself with something twig-like...

Regards

Artois28

Hopefully that was it. Wait a couple of weeks with running normally before declaring victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back