Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

..and Bobs your uncle! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomama46

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
This is a phrase I have heard on British TV shows and I think it means, "thats the end of it" or thats all there is to it"
Any "blokes" out there can clarify?

pc.gif

Jomama

Here is possible source Merriam Webster

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A version of this I like is - "And Robert's your mothers brother"!

mrees

Being a Kiwi (New Zealander)this is a term Im very familiar with. "Bobs youre Uncle" is similary used the same way as "Viola" and "Hey presto"...

For example:... "..and after making sure everything is plugged in, you turn on the switch and Hey Presto" ..bobs your uncle would fit in place of hey presto...

or... do it this way and bobs youre uncle!... meaning thats all there is to it! etc etc etc

hope this helped... cheers

Coincidentally, Bob IS my uncle! So what should the saying mean to me?

[cheers]
Cheers!
Laura

Laura, what do you want it to mean to you?

pc.gif

Jomama

Laura...

It means you have a very popular and well known relative...

This reminded me of a phrase that my Dad use to say, "Let George do it," meaning let someone else do the job, not me!

Skip,
[sub]
[red]Be advised:[/red] [glasses]
Alcohol and Calculus do not mix!
If you drink, don't derive! [tongue][/sub]

Skip, if you care about it "George" was the military term (Navy, I think) for the lowest ranking officer in a unit. the "George" jobs were all of the jobs and tasks that no one else wanted to handle so they got bumped down the chain until there was no officer left to pass them to. so "Let George do it" not only means to let someone else do the job it originally pointed to a specific person even though the person might change it was always "George."

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Ok..heres a slight change of topic....(Uncle Bobs on vacation)

Im a New Zealander (Kiwi), so I use alot of slang thats "english" in its origins..one thing that will forever amuse me here in the US is that we all speak english, but oh how different it is.... For example... I (as proabably any other british commonwealth countryperson such as australia, canada, sth africa, to name a few)..use the term "fortnightly".. I am amazed at the number of people here that have never heard this term let alone what it means, nor its origins....

Another funny is the word "petrol"... I was talking to people awhile and mentioned the shocking price of petrol here in southern ca...i got blank expressions... I did a little survey and discovered theres a good proportion of people who dont know what petrol is....its not a word thats used here, and its just a difference, thats all...I just find it amusing.....

"Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I knew a few english words such as lorry and storey before learning american english. I too got compassionate looks at my lack of english knowledge.

Yep, then theres the whole spelling issue:

Harbor v harbour
neighbor v neighbour
color v colour
tire v tyre
liter v litre

and the list goes on and on

"Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back