Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analysis Services stops responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

piei2000

IS-IT--Management
Oct 29, 2003
BR
I have a cube with 20 dimension. One of them has more than 1 million of members (a dimension called "Operation"). I have 10 Member properties for the low level of the dimension, and I create virtual dimension using these member properties. I create a DTS package that all night reprocess all dimensions and the cube. But sometimes when the dimension "Operation" is being processed, analysis services stops responding and I receive a time-out error message. The service is still running (I can see in SQL Server Service Manager), but when I try to make a connection to it, I receive a time-out error message.

What can it be wrong? Any clue?

Paulo

If you have 1 million leaf members and 10 member properties at the leaf level, you are more than likely experiencing issues with vailable resources. how many procs and how much memory is on the machine. If over 2GB memory have you enabled PAE/AWE and have you allocated 3GB to MS AS?

It isn't MS AS can't handle a cube of this size you just need to 1) Make sure the cube is optimized as much as possible in it's design and 2) Your server is large enough to handle a cube of this size.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I collected these information about the Analysis Services Server:

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 3 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model PowerEdge 6400/700
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~699 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~699 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~699 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~699 Mhz
BIOS Version Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A09
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
System Directory C:\WINNT\System32
Boot Device \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
Locale United States
Time Zone E. South America Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 2,096,680 KB
Available Physical Memory 5,404 KB
Total Virtual Memory 6,132,012 KB
Available Virtual Memory 1,015,964 KB
Page File Space 4,035,332 KB
Page File E:\pagefile.sys

Then the server has 4 processors Pentium 4 and 2GB of memory, but only 5MB of available mamery (it could be a problem).
In the properties of Analysis Services the Minimum allocated memory is 512 MB and Memory conservation threshold is 1024 MB. Beside Analysis Services, this server is a SQL Server too used as OLTP Server. I´m not sure if I can increse these values.
I don´t know what is PAE/AWE. What is that? How can I known if it´s enabled or not?

Thanks,

Paulo

What is the memory allocation for SQL server, also is SQL server set to Dynamically allocate or is it a fixed allocation?

First off I would at least double the memory. When running both the OLTP and the OLAP on the same server your memory demands will be quite large. Also remember that AS reads all dimensions into memory upon starting of the service.

The more memory the better.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back