Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analysers for COBOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

grande

Programmer
Feb 14, 2005
CA
First of all, thank-you to everyone who helped me out in the debugger thread, but my bosses have said "Well, let's look more into analytical tools..."

So, code analysers. CICS isn't necessary, but it'd be nice. Basicly, we want an overview of a program so the programmers can see how it works, track variables, see what procedures/copybooks/other programs are called, etc.

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Hi Captain Awesome,

few days ago, i have a telefon-call from a company. They have a Cobol-Editor. He produce a structogramm. I dont need such things and so I have not the name of the company. The location of th company is germany, the city is "Nürnberg". I know, it is not very helpfull.

Greatings Helmut from germany.

I think I'm gonna do that. Revolve looks like a really good application.

-------------------------
Just call me Captain Awesome.

Cornerstone Technology in The Netherlands in Dordrecht has such a tool which is going much deeper than any other tool I know. It works for many languages, makes offset-analyses and can follow information through a system, even by following the route through jcl etc. They did a lot of Y2k conversions(completely automatic) and Euro conversions. Still they do a lot of conversions. Also maintenance which can be guided by some key-field(s) or some specific properties of programs, can be defined as a conversion. You can ask them about their tools. I am independent from them, just advice them sometimes about cobol, pl/i, ims, db2, ibm mainframe, things like that. That is why I know them and I admire them a lot. I have written a lot of automated conversions and it is very time consuming. It takes weeks or even months. They do a lot of things in only a few days.

But.... even an editor can help with things like this.

For example an ISPF editor. ( IBM on the mainframe with ISPF, etc. etc.)

Give a command like:

x all;f call word all

and you will see only the calls

or

x all;f perform all

and you will only see the performs

But there are also macro's for this on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back