Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog to digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

ca336

Programmer
Feb 13, 2006
Hi guys, i am an IT guy but not a "telephony" expert and i need some help.
We have a Nortel analogue PBX and i need to have an extension to an other location. The guy who installed this PBX told me that is not possible to do that since it is an analogue PBX. So, the only way to do that is either to change the PBX and all the devices (which is not an option) OR to "convert" one of the extensions to VoIP.
So, after doing some research, they told me that i can purchase a Linksys SPA3102 that i will need to connect it to my PBX and a Linksys PAP2T that will be connected to the SPA3102. The SPA3102 will forward everything it gets in/out to the PBX and PAP2T and an IP phone can be connected to the PAP2T inside or outside the local network.

I understand everything except on what to connect on both Linksys devices ports?

Is anybody having any experience on this or any knowledge that will be able to help me?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Linksys SPA3102 will rout the call over the Internet usinf the ATA box (Linksys PAP2T) as end point.
So you need to have an internet connection at both sites and route the telephony data packets from site one (main) to site two (branch).

Linksys SPA3102 (Main)

The SPA3102 Voice Gateway allows automatic routing of local calls from mobile phones and land lines to Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service providers, and vice versa

Linksys PAP2T (Branch)
The PAP2T features two standard analog, fax-friendly telephone ports which operate as separate lines, complete with individual phone numbers. All the features you've come to expect are here, such as call waiting, caller ID, voicemail, and more. It's easy to select your preferred free local-dialing area code, or even add a virtual number from anywhere to be forwarded to your Internet phone

///doktor

What type of system do you have?
If you are indeed using an analog line, and the remote location is not too far away (same town for instance) you might consider getting a line from the telco, which amounts to a point to point circuit for one analog line. With this line in place, you cross connect the analog port to the telco line, then at the remote site, cross connect to your analog phone and you are in business. Talk to your phone company about what they have to do this, different telco's call these types of lines different names, so it is difficult telling you exactly what to ask for.

There are several things to consider.
1. You say analog PBX, I think you mean traditional TDM PBX.
2. What type of phone are you trying to set up at the remote location. Is it a traditional 'analog' phone like you would have at your house? or is it a Nortel specific 'digital' phone that has multiple buttons and rich PBX features? Note that Digital and VoIP are not the same.

if end device is analog...
a. OPX (Off Premise Exchange) is an option from the local carrier to provide a circuit between two locations at a monthly cost.
b. a device like you mention in your post.
c. if the locations are within your network with installed routers at each site you may be able to set up FXO/FXS cards in your Routers to perform the function you need.

if end device is digital...
You will need something along the lines of a PBX Branch Extender which allows you to extend the reach of your PBX to remote branch locations with full PBX features. You will have to do some research for compatibility for your system and phone types. MCK PBX Gateways are a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back