Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog Telephone Adapter for TDE 600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastline

Technical User
Jan 1, 2013
US
I am trying to install a GrandStream HT701 ATA via Sip connection to a TDE 600. Customer needs fax service to an office a 1/4 mile away connected via fiber (no copper).The ATA is registered to the PBX and incoming calls (internal and DID) work great. The problem I am having is when attempting outgoing calls (internal or outside)the system returns a fast busy, as if the TDE-600 is rejecting the attempt. I have gone over the ATA dial plan and settings with GrandStream to no avail. Any suggestions or successes you have had with other models of ATA's would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fred

Don't think a fax machine is going to work reliably over a SIP/VOIP connection. If the other office is only a quarter mile away, just run a copper cable....you won't need any type of ATA nor will you have to deal with other SIP/VOIP headaches.

I wish I had that option TA. Fiber is leased from a provider, can't get access to their routes.

OK...can you explain again exactly what you're trying to do? I'm thinking you're trying to hook up a fax machine as an off-premise extension using a SIP connection. If this is correct, I guess I'm just stumped as to how you expect a fax to operate over SIP even if you can get this working ???

TA you are correct, I'm just trying to set up an analog extension on the far end with an analog telephone adapter. The ATA registers as a SIP extension in the PBX. There are settings in the ATA which allegedly allow it to be used with a fax machine. My solution would be to order a POTS line from ATT and be done with it, but the clients IT department insists it be done this way.

If incoming calls are working OK, I suspect it's an issue with the individual port not being programmed to access all lines for outgoing. Have you opened up maintenance console and looked at how the system is configured? I haven't worked with many TDAs that didn't have the vast majority of extensions being traditional digital/hybrid ones so I can't say whether the configuration steps would be different in this situation.

However, what I can tell you is that even if you get that part figured out, the fax isn't going to work reliably, or even at all. It's not as simple as just changing settings in the ATA....it's just an inherent limitation of VOIP technology. Lots of ATAs are equipped with "jitter reduction", which is likely what they say "allows it to work with a fax" but the truth is it's just not precise enough (it's designed for vocal communication).

This sounds exactly like the type of customer I try my best to avoid. Even when you figure this out, I'd be willing to bet the customer will be unhappy with the end result, blame you and refuse to pay.

SIP extensions show up in "Extension Sertings", it is assigned the proper COS and settings just like the Polycom SIP conference phones which work just fine.

can you not pull 2 strands of fiber out and get a radcomm device that extends a real analog ext thru the fiber ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back