Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog/Digital Phone Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdolhon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2002
US
We currently have a Meridian 1 Option 11C; The lines come out of the Meridian and into a patch panel. Out of that patch they go into another patch which goes out to the individual offices. In the past, when someone moves, it is a simple swap on the patch panel going out to the offices. Yet this is the first time I have encountered swaping and analog and digital line. From analog to analog it works fine, as does from digital to digital. But when I try to do it with analog and digital, both ends are dead, and they have the correct type of phone on each end. I even went through OUTing them and adding them back in with the new infomration, still nothing. I did not setup this up so I am unsure if there is a wiring issue or not between the analog and digital. Any suggestions?

Thank in advance.

You say that dig to dig is ok, but when you change alg to dig it doesn't work? The analog sets are not polarity sensitive but the digital sets are. If the tip and ring is reversed on the patch panel or at the jack, analog would work, but digital would not. Thats why polarity has to be 100% correct since your tns out of the 11c were terminated on patch panels. Look at the panels and make sure none of the pairs are reversed. If analog works thru the panel and digital does not, then reversed polarity has got to be the problem (considering that your digital sets work off 1 pair, and are not the old wedge sets requiring 2 pair)

Plug your digital and analog phones dirrectly into patch panel off switch. This will make sure ports leaving switvh are operating. Then double check your patch cables.
Good Luck!!

Maybe I'm getting this wrong. Are you saying that you are plugging an analogue phone into a digital port & vice versa? If so this won't work.

Thanks, corrected the polarity and works perfectly now.

Also the RJ11/45 (always forget the nomenclature) phone cord that plugs into the jack from the phone can cause you to pull hairs out if crimped a certain way - will work just fine for analog but dead in the water for a digital phone. Good, Fast, Cheap . . . Pick Two
Alpine Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back