Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An SQL statement that does not sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

klasse

Programmer
Jan 12, 2004
SE
Hello,

Situation:
I have a table that is created when the user wants to open a graph, and it is deleted when the user closes such graph.
I read data (dates, eg. 30/10/01) from a txt file into an array. My array has two columns, one the dates and the other a sum of the coincidences of the month.
Then, I input the values in the array into the table I just created.
Then I set the rowsource of the graph to the table.

Problem:
In the txt file, some records are not sorted, and therefore, I can have the 21/07/01 after the 30/10/01.
When I put this into the table, obviously the table then is not sorted.
My intention was to sort it out in the rowsource of the graph, and thus I use:
grpusage.RowSource = "SELECT Format([MyDate],""MMM \'YY"")),sum([MyUsers]) AS [Times logged to database] FROM [USAGE] GROUP BY (Format([MyDate],""MMM \'YY"")) ORDER BY (Format([MyDate],""MMM \'YY"")) ASC"

I get the dates in the format mm 'yy but the "ORDER BY (Format([MyDate],""MMM \'YY"")) ASC" does not sort the data. In the graph I get July'01 before June'01

When I create the table, I use:
.Fields.Append .CreateField("MyDate", dbDate)
.Fields.Append CreateField("MyUsers", dbInteger)

So, the field MyDate is designed as date.

Does anybody have a clue on what the problem is?
If not, alternative solutions would also be helpful.

Thanks,

Klasse

Have you tried Formatting using Cdate or Cvdate? Those functions may help?

Format "MMM" returns the 3 char abreviation of the NAME of the MONTH, where (I believe) "Jul" is -indeed- ordered before "Jun". As a quick check/change change the "MMM" to "MM" which (AGAIN -I beleive) returns the TWO Character number representing the month - so "06" should be before "07"?

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

It seems to me that your date format for sorting should be YY/MM rather than MMM/YY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back