Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An LCD that isn't a widescreen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

snootalope

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Is there such a thing?

I'm trying to find an LCD tv that also doubles as a monitor, so it has the standards inputs like rca, avi, and rbg, that isn't a widescreen. Like on my desk, I have a 21" LCD screen. Love it.

Do they make like 32"+ LCD screens that aren't widescreen? I do NOT want a widescreen... If they exist, google isn't finding them for me.

We've already got 42" widescreens that we use for some presentations and basic tv. Works great for tv, but the resolution it uses for presentations (from a laptop or some external device) just sucks..

We currently use a projector and screen for anything that just won't fly on the tv's, but the room this projector is in is always getting blasted by the sun so the screen doesn't seem to be bright enough. We even have some heavy duty curtains in there.

Didn't think a big ol' LCD existed, just thought I'd ask.. thanks!

Those 42" widescreens have only a resolution of 1366x768 Pixels and if the PC and notebooks are set to the wrong resolution, anything will look crappy...

and as you already noticed no LCD TV is being made that has a 4:3 screen, this is due to the fact that TV Broadcast is essentially all 16:9 these days...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Often times you have to make sure the drivers that are on the system support widescreen resolutions, and then set the computer to that. Have you done that?

Running a full-screen resolution on a widescreen monitor will often distort the picture.

----------
Measurement is not management.

snootalope,

I feel ya buddy. I also feel 4:3 screens are inherently more useful, but all that's being made today is 16:9 or better. Try the "Closeout" department at online retailers...that's where I found my 21" Sony 4:3 monitor, but it's not a native TV.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Gets even stranger when you go through a KVM. Some KVMs only support 1280x1024 max. If you have a 1366x768 screen and a 1280x1024 PC, you're stuck with the crap resolution of 1024x768.

Seen some 20" ones, but not sure on quality....

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back