Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An Interesting Printer Problem? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamba

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2001
GB
Hiya all!

[soapbox]**WARNING: ESSAY COMING UP **[soapbox]

Ive been asked to add a 'Print All' button to one of my Excel workbooks and seem to be having some difficulties with the amount of pages/prints that i need to do.

The workbook contains 18 sheets, 9 raw data sheets 8 charts and the classic welcome sheet, and the 'print all' button must print all of the charts...

now for the interesting part?, the first 3 charts are variable according to what the user has selected in the combo box at the top of the chart and the code needs to print out each of the 25 variations for each of the 3 charts then finish off the rest. This is where my problem is, as i have to change the charts to get the variables i have to print a chart, select the next option then print again and so on 75 times! therefore creating 75 different print jobs and my network/computer/excel cannot seem to handle this many during my test stages. ive tried adding a 2 minuite wait inbetween batches of files but this is very memory consuming as its trying to print and kicks excel into a classic microsft, not responding, ill close myself now mood! Is there something i can use instead of WAIT or MSGBoxes prompting the user to click ok once the batch is done.[spineyes]

lol, sorry bout the length of this but its annoyed me a lil.

a quick summary of my question is:

what can i replace the WAIT function for in an excel print procedure.

Cheers all for reading this and for getting this far! [2thumbsup]

[pc3]
Adam [glasses]

How about making a temporary workbook that contains all the charts you need to print, and issue one massive print job from that workbook? I think the system will handle that better than multiple small print jobs.

Rob
[flowerface]

RobBroekhuis,

Thanks for the reply, its looking like that is the way to do it, i had 2 concerns with that,

1. My system is being used by a 3rd person client and i didnt fancy the idea of more docs being created just to print.

2. The charts all realate to the same source cell which change using vlookup and index according to what is selected in the combo box.

These aside, i think ill have to work round these and create use a 'Printable' version of the document which links/created by the button.

Many thanks again for the response.

[pc3]
Adam [glasses]

not that you need more help but I had the same type of problem. As RobBroekhuis said I created a temp file and printed out that. As this is only for printing out the graph/sheet you can delete this again once it has been printed out. This way you wont have loads of doc’s laying about your computer and fill up hard drive space.

I don't think you even need to save the file. Just create it, use it, print, and close without saving.

Rob
[flowerface]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back