Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An exception Ocurred at 0028:C001D782

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMPO

Technical User
Jan 2, 2003
US
Some of the errors that the computer is showing:

An exception ocurred at 0028:C001D782 in VXD NDIS(01) + 00005A06 This was called from 0028:C001C60C in VXD NDIS(01) + 00004860.

a fatal exception OE ocurred at 017F:BFFF8976B.

A FATAL Eeception ocurred at 0028:FF0CE3FC in VXD wdmaud(07) + 00002b2c

System windows 98 SE ANTLHON XP 2100+

Any Ideas...

Can you boot the machine from a DOS disk and run SCANDISK? Will it boot in Windows safe mode? (Hold down F8 before Windows starts).

All of the numbers and error types refer to memory addresses on your machine at the time and don't mean too much - they're different on other machines. The NDIS VXD is a network client driver that blew up and WDMAUD is a sound driver. Unless something specific just happened to your network or sound cards, it's probably just the last ones that had problems during the overall bad 98 loading process.

Since the Athlon XP 2100+ runs at 1.73GHz, my guess is that Windows 98 SE is the problem. I have found that after speeds of 1.6 GHz upgrading to Win2000 or XP is your most likely solution.

Everything load normal but sometimes when I open microsoftword or any other program a white screen put up saying that this program perform and ilegal fuction click on close to close the program or ignore to continue. I click close and return to windows find but if try to open any other program wll say the same. When I try to hit ignore the sytem do not respond. Would you think it could be something related to the logitech webcam sometimes the green light stays on after windows 98 boot up and sometimes don't. I have to go and disconect the usb connection and reinstall it again and the web cam start responding. Also I have zone alarm, northon and pop up stoper(panicware)3.0 edition. Also sometimes trying to acces some web pages or email this error pop up IExplorer caused a general protection fault in module GDI.EXE at 0026:000014a0. Thanks for any help.

I can boot in safe mode and I have do several scandisk without any positives results.

You have several invasive pieces of software running... You might try disabling them one at a time, to see if one of them is the culprit. I've never been a fan of Windows software firewalls, I prefer just to use a small router and setup NAT. You might also try deleting the Windows swap file, boot to dos, go to the windows directory, del win386.swp. My guess is, its a background process, or too many...

Matt

DPMO - just remebered a quirk of 98 that causes similar problems. How much RAM do you have? Windows 98 won't use anything beyond 256MB for anything productive and sometimes has problems like this if any more is physically present. I believe there's a switch in MSCONFIG.EXE that you can set to tell Windows to ignore physical memory beyond 256MB. It's worth a try and I doubt you would see a change in performance anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back