Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An easy 1, but need an answer (start up and .vxd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerner

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
Hello everybody, I'm running a W'98 over a veeery old pc. I had to shut it down "the hard way" and on the re-start, it showed two system errors:
missed vnetsup.vxd from windows\system
missed dfs.vxd from win.ini

I have tried to reload those files, but I can't seem to find them, in fact I don't really know what am I looking for.I mean, what are the extensions .vxd?, where can I find some info about the meaning (use) of those files?, and most important, how do I fix this problem?.
Thanks in advance for your help.

One of the best things about 98, is that it keeps a backup of the registry for the past 5 days.

Try hitting F8 on startup, choose command prompt only. At the c: prompt, type:
cd\windows\command
then type:
scanreg /restore
and choose a date prior to the problem.

++++++++++++++++++ONLY IF NECCESSARY++++++++++++++++
Any .vxd entries would be listed here in the system.ini file.

[386Enh]

open Notepad and copy and paste the following between the lines and save the file as dfs.reg. Double-click on the file to merge the contents into the registry.

=====================BEGIN CUT=====================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DFS]
"StaticVxD"="dfs.vxd"
"Start"=hex:00
"NetClean"=hex:01
========================END CUT======================

I cannot copy the information as the one posted above, but you should also have something similar in your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP

reghakr

And just FYI. A VXD is a virtual driver that Microsoft thankfully got rid of in W2K.

You may also want to unplug any unnecessary hardware from your machine when starting up to see if the cuplrit is one of these devices. Some USB devices that don't agree with Win 98 will cause virtual driver errors when booting up. I had a DSL USB modem that did that on my 98 machine and ended up having to get a non-USB type DSL modem to resolve the issue.

Reghakr,Joegz, I thank you very much for your help, unfortunately this error did start quite longer than 5 days (15 would be more like it), but I'll try to follow your steps. Take care!

P.S.: Joegz, do you know where could I find some info. about the specific use of each *.vxd?

I also have a problem with .VXD files in that i have just installed window$ 98SE and i get two missing files. Vnetbios.vxd and motvcd.vxd, that both belong to the system.ini file. so as ive just intalled i cant gio back and copy them, how do i solve this problem?

I can't really recommend a web site that talks about vxd files. I did find this information though which may help you when I was surfing around. I would just go to Google and search there and you may find some sites that help.

I think they have a typo when they mention the part about typing in the source path and mean the path to the Installation CD.
--------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION FOR ERROR MESSAGES ABOUT THESE FILES: dfs.vxd, vredir.vxd, and msnp32.dll (WINDOWS 98).

DFS.VXD, VREDIR.VXD:

"Start" Menu > "Run" and type in sfc. This starts the "System file checker".
Select the "extract one file" option.
Type in the name of the first file you are missing (with the .vxd extension) and press "start".
A window will appear with the destination and source paths requested. Type in :\win98 for the source and C:\windows\system for the destination.
Repeat the process again substituting C:\windows\system\vmm32 for the destination path.
Do this for every file reported missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back