Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMR Modem Problem PCTel AMR V1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy100

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
GB
Hi

I have just purchased a few brand new PCTel AMR v1.2 Modem with win2k & winxp driver disc from Ebay and I'm having a problem getting my systems to install them.

I've used other brands of AMR modems before on other systems without problem. I've made sure the BIOS Onchip Modem is set to AUTO with the latest BIOS update.

I'm been trying with win2k & WinXP, both do not see the modem on start up, so I then tried manually installing the modem from control panel, modem detect does not see the modem either, so I manually add the drivers in.
Which gives me a code 10 error on the device manager.

Has anyone encountered this before and found a solution.

Any pointers would be helpfull.

Many thanks

Happy.

Insert it in a different slot.

If no luck, then see if it's recognized in another system.
If no good, then the modem may be defective.

Hi, thanks for the help.

I only have one AMR Riser slot per system board.
I've tried a number of these modems in a number of systems and they all do the same.

I'm happy to try most things to get this little devils working!

Cheers

Happy.

The last AMR modem (Win XP)I had problems with, I ended up going to the mobo manufacterer to get a driver compatible with the AMR riser on the mobo. Regular modems use hardware on the card, AMR modems have half the hardware on the modem, and half on the mobo.

Hi Guys

Firstly big thanks to everyone that has helped with this.
We now have the answer -

Basically it seems that there are two settings for these AMR modems, Primary and Secondary. It seems some modems you can change and others you can't. Unfortunately my PCTel V1.2 ones are set as Secondary as Default and the jumpers pins have been removed.

From my understanding, if a mobo has onboard sound, then a secondary setting on an AMR may work, but if no onboard sound, then it has to be set to Primary.

As mine has no onboard sound and I can't change the setting on the AMR modem, then this may be why they won't work!

As I said this is my understanding from all that I have read and tried, but I could be way of base!

Many thanks again to everyone.

Happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back