Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amplify Wi-Fi signal..can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazerr

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
US
I am running a Netgear:mr814v2. Sofar it has worked great. No problems to report. I recommend trying it to everyone..

Now for my question...

A friend just moved next door, and I want to allow him to use my dsl. Trouble is, the wireless signal strength in his house is pretty bad and even flaky.
Do they make a device that can be used to amplify the signal to a great degree?

Any help is appreciated...

you tried any directional or panel antenna? maybe it helps without using amplifier, AMPS are basically expensive and effect is very much different if You only use it at one side because in receiving gain the signal it may mix noise and signal together and it make it even worse but at those side it might most probably work if that is not very noisy area.

Seyed

You could raise the power to whatever you want, well, until the black helicopters show up - then you might run into issues.

Ben

i think there is a hack for this ap. do a google search. something about it not being configured to provide full power on all channels constantly as not to interfere with close proximity neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back