Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amex cards not being read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 7, 2006
US
Hey guys, I have an issue and thought I might bounce it off the brain trust here and see if I can get some ideas. Here is the situation. I have a store that recently was brought up from Positouch DoubleDos, gasp I know, to Positouch 5.29.
Some Amex cards are not being read when swiped. They can be manually keyed in, but not swiped.This is only happening with Amex, no other cards. It is not happening too terribly often about 10 % of the time. I have changed the track settings within Positouch, from Track 2 to Track 1 and back with no real change. Could this just be a matter of the strip on the card being "bad"?
I have swapped out card readers at the two most used terminals, but again, no real change. They are using Transaction Server 7.13, if that helps. The managers are saying that the cards they are having to manually key in are "newer" cards. Not sure what to gather from that tidbit, other than they think the mag strip should be in good shape.

Amex is putting out cards with a different type of magnetic stripe. It looks like a hologram and does not get along wello with many card readers. If that is the problem you may have to upgrade the card readers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back