Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

amd64 clock speed 989 mhz? how do i change to be 1.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bufont

Technical User
Apr 25, 2005
CA
What can I change in the bios to get my amd 64 3000+ processor running at 1.8 mhz! In windows/system it reads it at 989mhz! Can someone help me with this!? Thanks

your bios should have a frequency setting that you cna change to get it to 1.8hz. why was it that low in the first place its supposed to be at 2.0 when you buy it. i have that processor.

I just got the pc and it was running at 989 mhz didn't change a thing! I think the 3000+ processor is suppose to run at 1.8 and the 3200+ processor runs at 2.0 doesn't it!?
Well I would take either just not 989mhz! but do you know what it is called in bios that I can change! I found one thing that would let me change from 200mhz to 300mhz max!~ Is that was I need to change?
thx

your right man i have the 3200. my bad your right about that. the 3000 runs at 1.8 but yes what your looking at in your bios is the right thing. should be called frequency oe clock rates that is were you change it. just dont change it too much.

Your front side bus settings should be on auto and maybe they are set to manual. Either way you can go in and change them. Consult the manual for our motherboard. Not being snarky, but are you sure the motherboard will allow that cpu? If you dont have a manual then just give us the info on our motherboard and we can help you with that.

Also, its possible that your motherboard needs a bios update to recognize the newer cpu, depending on the age of your motherboard and the current bios version. An older bios version can often cause this.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

haha thx for the tip! I did change it from 200 to 250 and it never changed and max is 300, windows still says its running at 989 mhz maybe I was touching the wrong one! goona have to recheck thx for the advice! :)

Oh ok great tips, the motherboard does allow i think I'm going to double check now ha but I'll chk if the bus is set to auto! thanks and I'll get back to you about the motherboard if it doesn't work! thx

Hi I' havn't gone home to check my computer but the motherboard I have is soltek k890pro-939 motherboard atx s939 via k8t890 ddr pci-e16 3pci sata raid sound lan 1394
I belive the 939 chipset does support amd 64bit processor but let me know if I've made a mistake! thx

Right off the top my bet is that it does and your bios likly is good to go.
So its a matter of adjusting cpu and fsb.
Does your manual show that to you?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

I'll check that as soon as I get home tonight thanks!
tech-tips ROCKS!

What memory do you have? Sounds like normal Sdram, when you need DDRdram. Does this board require "dual-channel" memory for full FSB speed?

I have corsair value select dual channel 1024 kit pc3200 ddr ram two sticks of 512 mb

I understand that dual-channel has to go in certain slots (1 and 3, for instance). Check the manual to see if this applies.

First of all, bufont has the socket 939 chipset. This should tell you that it doesn't support SDRAM, and this should also tell you that Single- or Dual-Channel configurations won't affect the FSB. The memory bus can and will run at different speeds when the BIOS is set to "auto" ratios.

Now to get optimum performance, you must make sure the memory is in Dual-Channel configuration. As micker stated, you can find this in the manual. But the point is that Single-Channel will not cause the CPU FSB or Clock Speed to run slower, necessarily.

My guess is that you aren't getting an accurate reading. Go to Start -> Run, type dxdiag and hit OK. See what it says there.

Also give us more specs on your PC. Laptops, for example, have mobile versions of the Athlon that clock down to conserve power based on low CPU activity. That might be what you're seeing...

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Windows has a hard time reading correctly the clock speed of your Athlon 64 chip.

Others have complains about the 64 bit showing 384MHz, while others have said others..

Rest assured that your computer sees the full amount, however Windows 32 bit edition is not programmed to handle AMD64 quite yet. There will probobaly be an update (non-critical) which addresses this in the future.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

It's probably the AMD 64 bit driver if you have it installed. I posted the same thing and the 64 bit driver for XP 32 bit from AMD changes the voltage and speed to go with the needs of the comptuer user. Your BIOS will tell you what exactly your CPU is set for (1800 MHZ). I used everest home edition and it said that my computer was running at 1600 MHZ, looks like the 64 bit fools some software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back