Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also see thread656-1072073.

AMD is faster, but cant scale past 4 CPUs.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

bytehd,

AMD is hard at work trying to break into the server mkt. It is not that they can't scale past four, there are no MOBO's being produced for more than four...But a "4P" MOBO with four dual cores represents "8P". They do have a prod problem is they were to get a lrg contract, but most likely a problem they would like to have.

rvnguy

"I used to know everything but I can't remember it all

Im thinking about the cache concurrency logic built into the Intel Chips. AMD has none.
P4s came pre-wired for 2 CPUs with little or no MOBO glue logic.
XEONs come wired for 32 or 64.
Check out UNISYS for that.

But again, SMP only shows gains on Apps that use it....
Like SQL or Netware.
Word or Excel Aint going to use CPU #2.

Im also not sure how Terminal Services uses extra CPUs.

Either way, more horsepower is a good thing.
Microsoft will always find a way to use it up doing spell check or something mundane.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Im thinking about the cache concurrency logic built into the Intel Chips. AMD has none.
This can't be a problem for AMD, for as soon as you go to a second processor, cache coherency becomes an issue that must be solved (system falls down without it). And since they've been shipping dual and quad processor boards and chipsets from when the Opteron was introduced, and given that people have been writing multi-threaded code for Opteron & Athlon64 for years now, it can't be a problem, otherwise there's be much wailing and knashing of teeth.

Chip H.

ALL,

The implementations, can not be identical or there will be infringment claims.

One of the items that AMD has done is to move memory control off the North Bridge and directly onto the chip. Makes for NB designs for AMD simpler and mem access fast. "NUMA"

Intel does have the momentum in the server arena and will probably retain it for some time.

This is not a cause to ignore an AMD solution where you can. This will probably not be in the main stream corp environ that is heavily invested into Intel already...but then again an AMD build can be economical.

I think that multi-threaded apps are invisible to what processor they are executing on in almost all cases.

Intel is King but a Prince in the wings keeps them on their toes. And for us users/implementers that is a good thing.

rvnguy

"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

The biggest hurdle AMD face is simple. Change.

People are scared of it, not least IT CEO's / Directors. The Intel brand is like the comfort blanket, old tried and trusted.
They think that AMD is this new upstart and will most likely only be around for a year or two. Odd considering I had a AMD P60 and they actually made chips on behalf of Intel, years before this.
Be Brave, make the change!

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

I wonder whose dual core makes faster cubes....

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back