Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD speed not reading right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikon44

IS-IT--Management
Nov 26, 2002
US
I have a AMD 2200 CPU running Windows XP Pro. I have a MSI KT4 Ultra board and it is a compatible board with this chip. Windows XP is telling me that the 2200 chip is a 1500 and is running at 1.35 instead of 1.8. Now would the computer still be able to use the 1.8 and it is telling me that it thinks that it is a 1500 or is there a update out there to mabey fix this problem.

AMD 2200 has a 'clock speed' of 1.8 GHz

Are you saying XP thinks yours is 1500 running at 1.35 GHz?

Yes, XP is saying it is a Athlon 1500 at 1.35 ghz.

Right click on "My Computer" / Properties
Click on the "Hardware" tab then on "Device Manager"
Next double-click on "Processors" and finally double-click on the recognized AMD 1500 processor.
Click on the "Driver" tab and finally "Update Driver".

This should update your processor to what your BIOS is recognizing it as and download the latest driver for your processor.

Also be sure that your BIOS is set for the correct clock speed. This will effect the way that your processor is recognized for some strange reason.

My computer was recognizing my AMD 1800+ simply as a CPU 1.? Ghz until I set the clock speed on my motherboard and my BIOS to 133Mhz. It suddenly recognized it as the correct processor with a 1.53 Ghz. Just make sure your motherboard jumpers are set correctly and they match your BIOS and your set.

God bless!

I am a IT Tech and usually can do stuff but my device manager does not have a processor to click on. I can not find the place in the BIOS that you can set the FSB and can not find the clock speed. My BIOS Post is also telling me that it is a AMD 1500, but I bought it the packaging said AMD Athlon 2200 XP.

I have tried the Jumpers they are set right.

What's the motherboard? If it's not right in your bios, xp will never get it right. Check motherboard jumpers/bios settings for: memory clock speed, frequency multiplier, and front side buss. Any of these could make the processor be detected wrong.

I had a similar problem with mine. AMD xp1800 (1.53G), reading as 1150mhz. I have the ECS K7S5A motherboard, I changed the fsb 133/133, now it reads it fine. Can you find anywhere in your bios to set your fsb/multiplier?

Hmm. . .strange that your Device Manager doesn't show your processor. When I first upgraded to XP, I thought it was strange to have it, but I wonder why yours doesn't show??.

You might try flashing your BIOS to the most recent version. Go to your motherboard website and see if they have an update for you.

---

Try letting a friend that knows something about computers come over and look at your BIOS with you. I know that sometimes the numbers just get all jumbled together. I overlooked my clock speed settings several times jntil finally one day after about a month of wondering why my BIOS didn't have the settings, I looked right at it and slapped myself for not seeing it the first time. Mayabe a set of "fresh eyes" will be able to see the settings that you happen to be overlooking. (Just a suggestion.)

If they are for sure not their, maybe the updated BIOS will have them for you to set.

God bless,
Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back