Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 2.4GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Socket 939??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordgalla

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
US
Hello;Do you guy's think a AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 2.4Ghz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 110w Dual Core Processor,will run games ok,with 2 Gig ocz Platinum ram,and a Ati x1950 Gt Running at 601/1350 256Mb video????

This Cpu looks like it would perform better than a Athlon 64 4000+ Single core Cpu?? Fairly Decent Price 115 bucks,to maybe add some life to my 939? What do you think?

Going forward, generally speaking more cores are better, as software follows hardware and though not many games utilize dual-core right now, in the future developers will develop for multi-core. Plus, it will generally be a better PC for overall use with dual-core.

Your limitations in gaming will be your GPU, an X1950 is below mid-range these days. You would probably get better gaming performance by upgrading your GPU first to an 8800GT or such, but not being a gamer (I just read all their mags LOL) I have no firsthand proof.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back