Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ MP questions.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thesuperiorone

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
I have a system at home that I am working on for someone, has a dual- processor setup (both AMD Athlon XP 2800+ MP's), socket A.. I need to verify that the processors work, however the dual processor board they were on is non functional. I have another Socket A board at home that works, it has an Athlon XP 2600+ on it..

Will the MP function on a SINGLE processor borad?

Chris

I found this review of the MSI K7D Master (Dual CPU board)
There is an interesting comment center of the third block of writing:

Which basically says MP's are the same as XP's but go through more vigorous testing for dual function.

As we know this Athlon is based on a Barton core with 512 L2 cache so any board supporting "barton" XP should work with an MP (if the logic is correct)
I carn't honestly see either the CPU or motherboard being damaged by trying, the only problem I can foresee is the the processor may not be identified correctly.

Martin

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

You can run an Athlon MP on a single CPU board, there shouldn't be a problem. They are in fact the same core as the Athlon XPs, only they have been "validated" for use in dual CPU systems. If the core is going to be an XP instead of an MP, they disable the SMP functionality on the CPU module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back