Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200 Keeps Overheating -- Solutions? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhand

Programmer
Jul 3, 2002
US
I posted this over at the Windows XP forum, but thought it made more sense to post it here. My apologies for the multiple post.

Original post is here:

Hey all!

I'm running Windows XP professional SP3 with an Asus A8N5X motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 4200+.

Now, for some reason, the darn processor keeps overheating.

I've done ALL the following:

1) Increased the # of fans -- I have a Total of 5
2) Replaced the CPU fan. It's brand new with an RPM of 6000+
3) Improved Air Flow in the case
4) Removed and reseated the Heat sink
5) Properly Applied Arctic Silver 5 according to specs

Yes, all that -- and it still overheats; although NOT as often.

Now, I will be getting a new PC, but I have to keep this one for business purposes.

By the way, I also downloaded Core Temp and can see that one Core heats up faster than the other.

So - what to do?

Should I just get a brand new AMD 64 x2 dual core?

Should I get a used one (like on ebay or amazon)?

Can I upgrade to a totally new and different processor with my Asus Motherboard?

I guess those are my 3 options... Any comments, suggestions, feedback, and insights are greatly appreciated.

Best!
- Tyhand

Judging by what you said in the other post, 45-50C isnt really all that bad. Have you checked in the BIOS to see if you changed a setting for the maximum temp allowed before shutdown? Does one of your monitoring programs have something along the same lines?

What motherboard are you running and whats its max temp rating?

Not knowing exactly what CPU you have, AMD list a blanket statement of 55-70C as a general max full load operating temp, anything above 65 in my opinion is too hot.

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Hi Dr Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

My BIOS is set to 72 degrees Celsius. That's the default setting.

However, I have the Asus PC Probe II set to 50 degrees Celsius -- but that is just to warn me that the PC is heating up.

I can have that set to 100 degrees Celsius and it wouldn't matter as once my PC starts hitting 48 degrees it will freeze.

My guess is that the Processor is just dying out or something.

The Motherboard I have is the Asus A8N5X. I do not know the max Temp rating, but it never really gets hotter than 35 Degrees Celsius.

The CPU I have is the AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor 4200+.

This all started about 1 year ago. My PC never gave me any problems; then all of the sudden it just starts freezing up when I'm watching videos or am working on multiple projects.

This is a real bummer as I've done everything to keep it cool.

I'm thinking of just getting a new process, however I'm open to upgrading.

Do you know if I can upgrade to a faster processor with the Asus A8N5X motherboard?

Thanks for the help.

- Tyhand

system freezes when it gets WARM, is usually an indicator that either the HDD or the RAM is flaky...

run a memory diagnostic such as MemTest86+, and a HDD diagnostic, preferable that of the manufacturer (alternative you can use SeaTools)...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

it could be something that is running on your PC using a lot of CPU cycles causing the proc to run hot.

you could try a good quality thrid party cooler and see if that helps.

remember not to apply too much thermal paste. too much will act like an insulator rather than a conductor of heat.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Based on what I've heard so far, I'm not so sure I'd pass judgement on the processor as the cause just yet. It appears to be operating in a normal temperature range when the system freezes.

I agree with Ben that you should try running MemTest86+. This will stress the system outside of Windows. If it fails with an error and you have more than one memory module, run the test again with only one module installed. Do the same for the rest to help pinpoint which one is the problem. Also keep in mind that an error could also be referring to the CPU (L1 and L2 caches) or the motherboard (memory controller or DIMM slot) itself, though both components are rarely the problem.

If MemTest passes with flying colors, you can try a HDD diagnostic on your existing drive, but I also recommend trying another HDD altogether. Load a fresh, clean copy of Windows on a spare hard drive and see if the problems persist. This will help rule out a software issue on your original hard drive.

Also don't overlook the GPU. Try replacing the graphics card with another if you have access to one (or look for a cheap replacement online). I recently had a problem where the system would run fine initially but within minutes would freeze. Sound familiar? In that situation, replacing the video card resolved it.

-Carl
"Windows has detected you do not have a keyboard. Press 'F9" to continue."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I'm thinking of just getting a new process, however I'm open to upgrading.

Do you know if I can upgrade to a faster processor with the Asus A8N5X motherboard?

I believe that the socket 939 motherboard you have can go up to about a 4800+, but it really isn't worth it. Anything faster than the dual-core 4200+ you have will be way overpriced and won't give much of a speed improvement. I would recommend a newer AM2+ or AM3 compat. motherboard and a Phenom X3 or X4 CPU.

Dan

Thanks guys!

You guys rock!

All the best,
- Jay

P.S. Right now, I have my AC on in the room, and my CPU Temp is at a cool 34 degrees Celsius. However, it just froze about 10 minutes ago at about 36 Degrees. So, I'm thinking Big Bad Ben is onto something. Thanks again!

also try reseating the RAM - you can get whats call "creep" with things like RAM and PCI devices.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back