Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD 64 FX vs. AMD 64 x2 Dual Core 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennek

Programmer
May 20, 2003
US
Could someone please tell which one should I get?
I really don't see how the outcome performance differs...I know the dual core is two chips in one which improves multitasking, but if the FX performance is so great it should be able to handle apps. just as well I think...

I'm not a hardware guy so can someone who knows about this give me some quick tips please?

I do a lot of 3D gamming and multimedia (3D modeling, music edit)

Thanks in advance!

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. The newer FX's that run on the 939 chipset are superfast but also burn a superhole in your wallet (not to mention, harder to find).

The X2's are expensive too, but not nearly as bad and are more widely available. App for app and game for game, the FX's beat the X2's hands down. But with dual cores becoming more popular in both Intel's and AMD's camps, it won't be long before you start seeing more support in the applications you run, eventually stealing the advantage away from faster single CPU's.

If you go with the 939 chipset, you can always get a fast 64 or FX now, and upgrade to an X2 later when the advantage is clear.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Forgot to add that upgrading to an X2 later wouldn't require you to change out the motherboard, as it appears the 939 will be around for at least another generation of AMD CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back