Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AMD 64 Athon running 32 bit apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

santosh2natal

Programmer
Aug 10, 2003
IN
Hi,
I want to configure a AMD 64 Athlon based PC.
Hence, I want to know which is the cheapest CPU+Motherboard combination would be ideal and what chipset make motherboard would be ideal for the same?
Also all the applications that run on x86 PC (I have Intel P4 HT 3.0 GHz + Intel 865 GBF motherboard) will also be run on this AMD PC.
I use following applications on 32 bit Intel P4 PC as below:
PowerBuilder ver 6.0, 7.0 and 9.0
MS SQL Server 2000
Oracle 9i
Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Pagemaker 7.0, Acrobat Writer 5.0, Adobe ImageReady 7.0
Macromedia Flash
ACD See
Windows Media Player 7.0/9.0
Pinnacle PC TV
Winamp
Ahead Nero DVD burning application suit and multimedia suit.
dBpowerAMP
VCD-Cutter (Video file editing software)
VCD-Clipper (Video file editing software)
MS-Office 2000 suits
Fedora Linux

Because you will be stressing memory, I suggest you go with a Socket 939 motherboard that uses dual-channel DDR. The cheaper option (though only slightly cheaper) is to go with a Socket 754 solution, but the upgrade path is far shorter and more stressful on the memory bus when using large amounts of RAM and multiple DIMMs.

So for Socket 939, this article will get you started:

You can browse on for good deals, or you can save on shipping by selecting one carrier for multiple items (in those cases, I prefer As long as you install the 32-bit version of Windows XP, then you will not have any trouble (or I should say "32-bit compatibility" trouble) running the applications that ran fine on your P4 system.

In order to see any real benefit in upgrading, I would go with an Athlon 64 3400+ or higher.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

As cdogg points out.
Your present system is no slouch so to feel any significant performance increase you need to be looking at 3500+ rated, or above, on:

An Nvidia Nforce4 ultra or SLi chipset equipt motherboard (generally accepted as being the best chipset for AMD 939 CPU's) I recommend: MSI, Asus, Abit, Gigabyte possibly DFI

Given your particular applications I would also recommend you take a close look at AMD's X2 range (dual core CPU's) perfect for multitasking and number crunching tasks, like the ones you use.

Just to re-iterate, your present apps will work just fine on this platform.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back