Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amber Memory Light - Won't Post ML530 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyrabbit

Technical User
May 23, 2005
GB
I've just placed a 512mg chip into my newly acquired ML530, Dimm slot1. On power up the server does not post and the Dimm1 amber light stays on.

I've tested the memory in another computer and it seems fine. Its a 512MB, Sync, 133MHz, CL3, ECC Infineon chip with a compaq sticker on the back, so I guess it would be compatible.

Can anyone help. Many thanks.

ML530, at least the G2 model, needs DIMM's to be installed in pairs.

Neill

Thanks for the amazingly quick reply :)

I believe its not the G2. Its older rackmount version, with 8 banks of DIMM slots. Sorry I cant be more precise. If they need to be in pairs that would make sense, but I would be surprised. It doesn't mention that pairs are needed.

ntinlin, I think you could be completely correct here, I'm just trying to use one 512mb chip in slot1, on reading other posts, it does conclude to a pairing problem. There are 8 slots on the MB but are split 4x4. So before I start spending out on more memory, do I need at least 2 chips to get the system to post?

From HP server training guide:-

"ML530 G2 only supports PC1600 ECC DDR RAM. Memory is installed in 2 sets of identical DIMMS to form a bank of two. This is required as the system uses 2-way interleaving technology.

ML530 G2 supports a single memory board with 8 DIMM sockets (4 per side)."

The top cover of the ProLiants will normally tell you in which order to fill the banks.

So I don't have to fill all 8 sockets, just 1x1, 2x2 etc?

Yes. You'll probably find you have to fill one on one side of the board and one on the other each time.

so you'll have 2, 4,6 or 8 DIMM sockets filled at any one time.

Agreed. The DIMM sockets are not 1 to 8 as you would think, they are (from right to left for description sake) 1,5,2,6,3,7,4,8 in order

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back