Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I screwed? (Exchange problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampar

Programmer
Jul 11, 2005
CA
Hi,

I just got those SBS 2003 licenses à few weeks ago to get a Microsoft Exchange 2003 server up.

We don't have a very complex network. Only 3 servers

1- Linux server, gateway, dhcp server, firewall
2- 1 MS Server 2003 standard, with ADS
3- 1 Server, ready for exchange

As you can guess, all my users, files, printers, etc are on the server #2. My objective was to install that 3rd server, MS Exchange 2003 and keep using my server2 as the main domain controler.

I fear it is not possible with SBS... please tell me that I am wrong and there is a way to have my SBS installed only as a exchange server, seperatly (hardware speaking) from my Server 2003 with ADS? I am totaly new to SBS and Exchange, do not hesitate to give me a lot of details on a solution to this problem (if there is one, excluding buying another pack of licenses)

/pray

If you're using SBS, then Exchange is built in. It would be installed as part of a normal SBS build. If it wasn't, there is something wrong.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Ty for your answers, I'll try to explain the situation more carefully.

The server #2 has nothing to do with SBS. It has his own Windows Server 2003 Standard license.

We got SBS 2003 from a donation program and we were thinking about using it as an Exchange server.

All the ADS is configured and managed from the server #2. Will I be able to use SBS on that 3rd server as a Exchange server only, that is basically my question.

Thank you very much for your help!

I'm afraid not - SBS requires itself to be a domain controller and the fsmo master. The link I posted previously tells how to do that, but SBS is very restrictive in that regard.

So... basically, from what I've read so far, if I want to use SBS as a Exchange server, I'll have to basicaly, simply forget about server#2 after the transfer/installation is completed?

Am I correct?

IIRC, you can't have any trusts with SBS. You'd have to build the SBS as a new domain/forest. Then, you could do a file copy of the data from the old server to the new server. Setup your users, add your PCs, etc...

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

OK, that is a problem for me. I'll have to put those license away.

ty for your help every1

I would handle this in the following manner.

1. Setup server #3 as SBS with Exchange on it. This will setup AD as well. Create your users on that domain.

2. Demote server #2 and join it to the SBS domain. You can leave the files intact but will simply need to resetup security and ownerships to the files. You can make it a DC if you like but there is little benefit since SBS needs to hold the FSMO roles.

3. Remove DHCP from server #1, SBS should manage the DHCP to allow for Dynamic DNS integration.

By going with SBS you will gain a lot of nice features such as Remote Web Workplace, so I would use it.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

SBS must be the domain controller by default in any network it is part of. This is by design and can't be changed. Hope this helps.

Docsquic

Meant to say PDC. And only one SBS in the network.

Docsquic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back