Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I obligated to give the client the "original layered work"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenlamps1

Technical User
Oct 3, 2008
US
I was commissioned to do a brochure back in Jan. The client loved the work and I was paid. Ten months later he wants to make some changes and says he needs the original layered AI work sent to the printer so THEY can make the changes. I said no...I won't give up my original work and now the client is very angry. Am I obligated to give him my original work?

I would say unless you have a "contract" that they have agreed to that states that you retain the rights to keep the original artwork, they can ask for the files. You might charge them a fee for those files however. I always give the original files to my clients (if they ask), but I will convert all the text to oulines (but not my originals). Some designers (and especially agencies) will have a contract with legaleese regarding original artwork. There are sample legal forms available on the web you can modify for your own use. I usually just assume that my clients will want the originals (they usually do) and I include that in my fees.

...i would agree...

...i would also say that if the client has paid you then it is really their paid for right to do what they wish with it...

...i'd feel pretty annoyed paying for something and then being told you can't have it "don't worry, i'll look after it for you"...

Andrew

apepp (Andrew). What he does with the finished product isn't in question. He has paid for it and can do whatever he wants. However, the question is 10 months after the finished product, should he expect me to give the original unflattened AI files to a printer?

...i would, as he has paid for them already...

andrew

I agree with Andrew...if you have no pre-agreement about said artwork, then you really should give it to them. UNLESS you have already purged it from your computer and neglected to make a back-up! My clients are always quick to ask for the files quickly after the job has been paid for or printed. I myself have had new customers that give me original artwork from other graphic designers that I have to edit or re-work, so I know that my designs are also sitting on another designers computer! It's just the way it is.

...indeed, if artwork has been purged and you tell them that it has been lost then you also end up in a situation whereby you won't get any more work from them potentially, as word travels too if your not careful to other potential clients...

...i believe closing too many doors on paying clients is asking for trouble potentially...

...and of course you do, and may have come across, the unappreciative client who you bend over backwards for with little thanks or even getting paid for at all...

...with experience you can spot these from the outset sometimes and save yourself from becoming a busy fool...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back