Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I missing someting? (read receipts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00blar

MIS
Aug 19, 2003
US
I'm running Exchange 2003 SP1 and I've made the proper changes in: Global Settings -> Internet Message Formats -> Default -> Advanced -> and I have removed check marks for everything but the bottom two options (allow non-delivery and preserve sender's display) to not allow Exchange 2K3 to send read receipts out to Internet addresses.
I restarted the sever a couple of times, but the setting seems to not work.

After restarting I checked from the outside and the server's still sending read receipts to Internet receipients.

Am I missing something?

NDR receipts are not the same as Read Receipts. An NDR is generated if I send mail to an account that does not exist on a particular domain. The Non Delivery Receipt tells me something to the affect of "User Does Not Exist."

With SPAM as rampant as it is, it is a good idea to block NDRs so your SMTP Queues don't get littered with messages directed to spoofed addresses.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for your reply, but I still can't get Exchange 2003 to stop delivering read receipts out to internet recepients. I'm able to 'block' NDRs but for some reason Exchange still delivers read receipts.
I remember this used to be such an easy option to turn onff in Exchange 5.5, but I don't understand why its such a pain in 2k3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back