Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

am I in trouble or what! Static-Dynamic -problems! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prostorm

Programmer
Oct 13, 2001
US
Ok, is there a way around a dynamic IP? I dont want to pay the extra money for a static (20.00/Mo more!) like a Dynamic router? a service maybe that takes whatever your IP is and set's it as a fixed one? pretty much a cheater system?

Thanxz guy's!!

-Paradoxz

You might wanna check out and see if this is what you need. They have a free 30 day trial which will give you a sub-domain name like 'tzo.yourdomain.com'. If you keep the service it will run about $25 a year. I think it's a little more for your own domain name. I think there are other dns pointer services too such as dns2go and others. You might try searching for "dns pointer service" and see what else you can come up with. Good luck.

I had the same prb trying to host my own site....but luckily I found a wonerfull little deal called DNS2go its awseome. Basically it reroutes all requests at a given site (i.e. aldumil.linux-dude.com) an redirects it to your IP. And then using a redirection domain service (I use redirection.net) you can redirect your doamin to the given subdoamin.lol I ramble alot. Anywho it works I host my own website ( ) you can get DNS2go by going to . hope this helps

well, DNS to go is what I am looking for, do you know if they charge you to have e-mail? I mean, not they're "SMTP Forwarding" but like if your using QMail on Apache, can you still do this? Or do you need mail forwarding?

Thanxz!

Try Myserver.org I think it's free. Now if your ISP blocks port 80 you have to pay to have port forwarding.

Thank's.. I looked into it, I already own my own domain though, and they charge 59.00/yr. to re-route an actual domain.. Just like everyone else :)

DNS to Go offers the service, I just need to know if they block programs like "SendMail" or "QMail" from working. Because they offer "Mail Forwarding".. but this may just be for sub-domains.

Also, does anyone know how to setup e-mail accounts? i.e. Add say "doggy@doggie.com", etc.. is this done with your own server software; like apache? if so let me know! Thanxz!

There is no reasin for DNS2go to block smtp or even pop email servers.....In fact I set up my friends sertver to do so worked fine...although he had a static ip address...but that should not be a concern.....

CS ***************

Actually, Apache has nothing to do with mail. If you are running linux, you can use sendmail or qmail however, if you are running a windows box, mail servers can be quite costly. They have BLAT.EXE but you will still need to route through an smtp server. I would consider getting linux. :eek:)

man oh man the babble. purchase a domain name first of all if you haven't already. go to hn.org and setup an account with them they provide free ddns services. go to your domian registrar and add the dns servers from hn.org. after about 24 hours the news about your dns change will hit the root-servers. download ez-ipudate and install it as a daemon on your linuxbox and it will send updates to hn.org if your ip changes. that is as easy as i can say how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back