Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I being unreasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhythmAddict112

Programmer
Jun 17, 2004
US
Am I being unreasonable? I'm the equiv. of a jr. level developer at my job. We have a team leader that I do not report directly to, however in terms of 99% of my projects s/he is the "project manager" As you may have guessed, I am using this term loosely since, as far as I know, she does nothing a formal PM would do (in terms of the PMI is concerned) In any case, I have a few applications I "own" In other words, any change that gets made, I'm the sole developer responsible...No one else touches them. The PM, however, rarely includes me in meetings with end users. S/he books meetings without a single mention to me, and then spoon feeds me what I "need to know" or at least, what s/he decides I need to know. There has been instances where this holding back of information poses serious issues, or just complicates things more than neccessary. I will give a highly abstracted example...just in case.

PM has a piece of an application, let's say a...some kind of PL/SQL procedure (note I have plenty of experience with pl/sql)
PM decides s/he does not want to have me(developer) work on this script during most of the project lifecycle for unknown reasons
During end of project lifecycle, when PM decides s/he does not have enough time, s/he dumps the PL/SQL script on the developer full and well knowing s/he does not have ANY background information on the script.

In this case, if I had been given, or at least made aware, of the PL/SQL and its business logic, I would have had no problem...Instead, I ended up finishing the script however it could have been considerably less stressful.

So now my question....Is this level of "abstraction" that the PM is making a point to have normal in other organizations? I am being ridiculous when I want to be on calls/meetings with user communities? I feel as though it severely hampers my ability to understand the business, the business model as it applies to the organization, as well as a myriad of other things. I have requested to my direct supervisor that I be included on meetings and such, however have no real way of knowning if he had communicated this. Depending on what you guys say, I'll either talk to him about it again, or just forget it (i guess?) '

PS, my official title ends in "analyst" ==> Isn't an analyst supposed to communicate with the business, or am I just being unreasonable?

All hail the INTERWEB!

I think the best approach is through your supervisor.
I wished I had your job, no meetings to attend, no arguing with users that do/will not understand the limitations of technology, no accountability. If the project screws the PM's a.. is on fire.

Steven

That's a good point too - which is why I wanted to come here and get opinions...The grass is always greener, unfortunately. -> You either get burnt, or get credit!

All hail the INTERWEB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back