Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Always shows NO CARRIER

Status
Not open for further replies.

teksys310

Technical User
Jul 6, 2004
GB
hey all,

Ive been trying to send some AT commands using qbasic but have had limited success. I downloaded a program from one of the forums thanks to "agual" and the terminal program there was great. HOWEVER :-(

I am sending this commmand,

ATE1N1X4&C0S8=2S9=5

The modem returns OK

I then send ATDT xxxxx-xxxxxx (uk)

The modem dials the number, this is where it gets tricky.

When i send the ATH command the modem disconnects but ALWAYS returns

NO CARRIER

But if it rings it should return RING, if its BUSY it should return BUSY but it does not. It always, always returns NO CARRIER!

Can someone please HELP !

Hi
You don't say if the modem manages to connect after the ATDT command, ie does it return "CONNECT"? I guess that it didn't connect, in which case the following is true...

Sending ATDTxxx, followed by ATH (or any other characters before the modem has connected) will abort the connection and return the modem to command mode. The modem will always return "NO CARRIER" in this case because it didn't connect.

I'm guessing here, but assuming you have another modem on the number you are dialing, what you need to do is:

Send "ATDTxxxx"
Wait for modem to respond with "CONNECT yyyy". This can take 10 to 20 seconds.
Send data between 2 modems.
Send "+++"
Modem responds "OK"
Send "ATH"
Modem responds "OK"

Hope this helps.

You don't mention what modem you are using. Different modems w/ different chipsets can have different command sets (looks like the one you are using is for Conexant/Rockwell). What is the N1 supposed to do? Anyway, LMK which chipset your modem has and I could help further.
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back