Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Always boots to Rommon

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolf52

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
I am setting up a new router and everytime I boot it, it goes to the rommon prompt. I never am asked to enter initial configuration. I have changed the confreg 0x2142 and back to 0x2102 but still get the rommon prompt.

what am i missing?

btw its a cisco 3620 router

thanks in advance

Seen this on a laptop where the 3662 would boot OK without the console cable attached, but dropped to ROMMON occasinally when the cable was plugged in. I guessed it was something to do with the laptop/terminal program issuing a BREAK for some reason in response to the 3600 boot sequence.

I used to see this a lot on some old VAXen, where a laptop reboot would drop the server to it's ROMMON equivalent...and kick 600 users off. Nice!

Also, check that the IOS is valid for the device...or try a different IOS flavour to make sure there no glitches etc.

Possible there is no or a corrupted IOS image in flash . Does it show a valid image from which to boot ? You may have to go thru the cisco image recovery procedure .

Try this

rommon 12 >confreg 0x2102

Then

rommon 2 >reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back