Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternatives to XCOPY for very large directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heintze

Programmer
Nov 19, 2005
US
I have constant trouble with XCOPY/s for multi-gigabyte transfers. The first trick was to turn off the sleep feature.

I need a utility like XCOPY/S that remembers where it left off if I reboot. Is there such a utility? How about a free utility (free as in free beer)?

How about an md5sum sanity check too?

Thanks
Siegfried

I tried your suggestion and downloaded teracopy. Instead, it wanted me to install a downloader.

I got badly infected the last time I installed a downloader.

Is it possible to get teracopy without using a downloader?

Thanks
siegfried

Siegfried,

strange, when I click the link I had provided and then go to DOWNLOADS, and click any of the locations (US or EUR) it gives me the direct download of said application...
(I use FF with NoScript)...

Here is another link, from Heise.de, see if you are asked to install a downloader there as well, if that is the case then start scanning your PC for malware...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Try Robocopy from the MS Server tookit. You don't have to be running server 2003 to use it.

I also advocate robocopy, but...

I need a utility like XCOPY/S that remembers where it left off if I reboot.
Not exactly, but it doesn't recopy anything that it copied so you don't do any extra work or lose time.

How about an md5sum sanity check too?
Not NATIVE to Robocopy, but..........

>from the MS Server tookit

Robocopy has been included with Microsoft's OSs since Vista. Itis certainly included in Windows 7.

Personally, I have a slight preference for Microsoft's RichCopy (although its main secret weapon - multithreaded copying - was added to Robocopy for the windows 7 version)

Zcopy used to be good.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

freefilesync.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back